General working rules to be an ideal employer
General working rules a company should follow to be an ideal employer
Choosing a general working rules with a few normally accepted as well as prohibited conducts is much advised. In place of a lengthy set of regulations, small businesses should go for a simple list of regulations and guidelines to make it clear to the workers. And what sort of behaviour the company expects from their part.
Here is a set of simple set of general workplace rules
- Observing safety rules
- Tardiness policy explaining the way to report the number of sick days allowable and personal off days erased
- Recording time of work (Using a time sheet or clock)
- Rules of the lunch period and other breaks
- Policy for overtime
- Rules regarding personal appearance including dress code
- Employer’s property damage rules
- Rules on maintaining sensitive information of the employers as well as the customers
To quote from Michelle Obama
We learned about honesty and integrity – that the truth matters… that you don’t take shortcuts or play by your own set of rules… and success doesn’t count unless you earn it fair and square.
As a defense against wrongful discharge claims
Some employers can allow workers to avoid legal hassles involved with termination procedures. In that case, they should give the reason that is sound as well as defensible. One way to ensure this is by having a number of basic and vividly stated employees’ rules. The company should communicate the rules to the workers. By this, any worker breaking a rule ends up doing so with the knowledge that his conduct is not acceptable. And it might end up inviting termination.
Safeguard step from discrimination claims
If a company fires or disciplines a worker for breaking general employee regulations, while another one is spared facing similar charges, it shows the business is violating regulations based on anti-discrimination. Maintaining a clear list of rules makes sure that all workers understand the acceptable and unacceptable behavior. If the ruleset is ambiguous carrying out this will invite challenge as discriminatory or arbitrary.
Points to ponder while choosing general working rules
Quality of work can be improved by work rules when
- A company creates an atmosphere where they treat workers with respect and dignity
- They help employees to ensure their own conduct in a safe as well as professional
- A company encourages open communication between the business and its employees
- They ensure all workers have fair treatment and follow common regulations
Work rules should be reasonable and appropriate
Finally, while the company governs the conduct of employees by certain rules, the specific rules need to be reasonable and appropriate for the employees’ work in question alongside the working conditions they are placed in.